In this article, I will show you 6 ways to fix age of empire 3 initialization failed windows 10 problem. Most people complain that they cannot run AOE 3 in windows 10 but it is possible. Here I have described all the reasons and possible solutions to fix the AOE 3 issue.
AOE 3 is a classic strategy game developed by Ensemble Studios in 2005. It was originally made for Microsoft Windows (old version). Age of Empire can be enjoyed in single player as well as multiplayer mode.
AOE is similar to the latest city building games in 2018 such as SimCity BuildIt but comes with more advanced features. Also, it is like Clash of Clans because we can train troops, attack on enemies and build new architectures. Age of Empire 3 is a solid time-consuming game to refresh your mind.
The following are some possible reasons why age of empire 3 initialization failed on windows 10:
- Due to corrupt AOE 3 installation files.
- Due to AOE 3 compatibility issues.
- Software conflict.
How to solve age of empire 3 initialization failed windows 10
Below is the list of all possible solutions to play Age of Empire in Windows 10. You can click on a method inside contents to skip other steps and directly jump into the main topic.
In most of the cases, Age of Empire 3 does not load in Windows 10 because the DirectX file is old or corrupted. DirectX is an API interface on windows that control programs and multimedia. In order to fix this problem, you can try updating DirectX to its latest version DirectX 12. To find the version of DirectX installed in your computer, follow these steps:
- Press hotkey ‘Windows + R‘ to open run.
- Type ‘dxdiag‘ without inverted commas and press enter.
- It will show a dialogue box window. Click on ‘Yes’.
- You can see the ‘Direct X’ version at the bottom (see screenshot).
If you have DirectX 12 installed, then you should skip this process and jump into our next method. If DirectX 12 is not present, perform the following steps.
- Click on start menu at the taskbar and select settings.
- Then click on ‘Update & Security‘.
- Go to the ‘windows update‘ tab.
- Click on ‘Check For Updates’.
Your PC will automatically detect latest DirectX update, downloads them and install upon a single click.
Enable Legacy Components
- In windows 10 taskbar, right click on ‘Start Button’ using a mouse.
- Select ‘Control Panel’ from the drop-down list.
- Click on ‘Programs’.
- Select ‘Turn Windows Features On or Off’.
- Find a folder called ‘Legacy Components’ and click on plus sign to the left of it.
- Click ‘DirectPlay’ box and make sure a checkmark is present on it.
- Finally, click on okay.
At the end, you need to restart your computer to see if AOE 3 is working or not. Enabling legacy components has solved problems for most of the gamers. But this may even worse condition in some cases. So, if you are facing any additional problems after performing above steps, please uncheck the ‘DirectPlay’ option mentioned in step 6. Then you can skip this and try any of the following alternatives to solve age of empire 3 initialization failed issue on windows 10.
Update Graphics Driver
If graphics drivers are old and outdated, AOE 3 initialization failed error may arise on windows 10. So first of all, you need to check if graphics are updated to the latest version. You will need a high-speed internet connection to update graphics card drivers. Perform these steps to update Graphics driver to play Age of Empire 3 on windows 10. You can automatically update graphics driver using software called ‘Driver Easy’. It is super easy to use and does not require any advanced computer skills to operate.
Use Reimage Plus
If none of the above methods work, then you can use reimage plus to fix age of empire 3 initialization failed issues. This is a paid tool but it can solve many other Windows 10 problems. These are the steps to resolve AOE 3 using reimage plus.
- Download and install the latest version of reimage plus from their official website.
- Purchase a license key and activate Reimage Plus.
- Scan the entire computer for problems in just one click using ‘Start Scan‘ button.
- After the scan is complete, click on ‘Repair All’.
Fix AOE 3 Compatibility Issue
If the above steps do not work, try the following process to fix the age of empire 3 initialization failed on windows 10.
- Navigate to this directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\Common\Age Of Empires.
- Right click on ‘age3y.exe‘ and choose properties.
- In properties windows, select ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Tick on ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for‘ checkbox.
- From the dropdown list, select ‘Windows Vista SP2‘.
- Click on ‘Run As Administrator‘ checkbox.
- Finally, apply the settings and click on ‘OK’.
Buy original AOE 3
If you are trying to install Age of Empire 3 from third party sites then chances are that those files could be corrupt. Some users download AOE 3 from illegal or pirated sites. Games downloaded from such resources may contain virus, damaged or missing file. Therefore, we recommend you to buy original AOE from the official store.
Now you know how to solve the issue: age of empire 3 initialization failed windows 10. Age of Empire 3 can run on 32-bit or 64-bit of windows 10. Let me know if you are able to play AOE 3 in windows 10 using above methods on comments below.