Is sound system on your computer fine but not giving output? In this article, you will discover how to fix ‘No speakers or headphones are plugged in Windows 10‘. The problem could be caused due to the software drivers itself or damaged hardware. We are going to cover all those problems here so that you are able to play audio in windows 10.
How to solve no speakers or headphones are plugged in windows 10?
Update audio drivers
If audio drivers are not installed properly, no speakers or headphones are plugged in the problem may arise. Have you installed the latest audio drivers for windows 10? If not then follow these steps to get the latest audio drivers for your computer. Also, make sure that you are connected to the high-speed internet before moving ahead.
- Right click on start menu and go to ‘Control Panel’.
- Select ‘Hardware and sound’.
- Click on ‘Device Manager’.
- Find ‘audio inputs and outputs’ and click on the arrow to the left to unlock more options.
- There you will find different audio devices connected to your computer. Right-click on a device and select ‘Update Device Software’.
- Click on ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. Windows will do your job.
- Update all the listed audio devices one by one.
In device manager, go to ‘other devices’ and update drivers listed there as well. This might solve the audio problem in windows 10. Some people still complain that the problem remains the same even if you install the latest audio drivers. One expert on Microsoft community has suggested that you should manually update drivers associated with the motherboard. Follow these steps to update motherboard drivers in windows 10. For that, you will need to download Driver Easy (free software) and install in your computer. Now I am assuming that you already know how to download and install software.
- Open ‘Driver Easy’ and click on ‘Scan Now’.
- It will show a list of available motherboard drivers. Select ‘Update’ next to a driver and the software will automatically download proper driver.
- You can manually install a driver in the free version after a download is complete.
In this way, we can manually update a motherboard driver in windows 10. After updating all these drivers, your computer should now detect audio hardware and play sound. If the problem still arises, consider taking the following solutions.
Recommended: How to make fallout 3 work on windows 10
Use Command Prompt
I am assuming that you already have the latest audio drivers installed. You can also use the command prompt to solve ‘no speakers or headphones are plugged in windows 10‘ issues. Perform the following steps to solve the audio problem using the command prompt.
- Go to Cortana search box in windows 10 taskbar and type ‘cmd’.
- Right click on ‘Command Prompt’ and select ‘run as administrator’.
- It will display a full-screen pop-up window that will ask for your administration permissions. Select ‘Yes’.
- Now type the following code and press enter:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
- Then input this command and press enter again:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
- Finally, close the command prompt and restart your PC.
In this way, we can solve audio hardware not detected in windows 10 using the command prompt.
Check Audio Hardware
The first things you need to do is check cables, wires or audio jacks and see if they are okay. There should not be any hardware problem with audio devices. Make sure that they are not expired, old or damaged. Sometimes internal broken circuit may also cause the problem. Check if there is no rust or dust in audio hardware. Make sure that the wire is fine and not bitten by children, pets or subjected to cut. You have to take care of all these things properly before trying to solve technical issues with audio devices.
Plus, you can also check if there are any issues with the soundcard. If there are any problems related to audio hardware, please contact your PC manufacturer. There’s nothing we can do about a badly manufactured product. You can either replace it if you have a warranty from the provider or buy a new one.
To solve ‘no speakers or headphone are plugged in windows 10‘ issue, update all audio drivers. If it didn’t work, then try using the command prompt to make computer detect audio hardware. And in the end, if none of them worked then there is only one reason: you have a bad audio device. Let me know if any of the above methods helped you play audio in windows 10. [C U]