Webpage and website are not so complicated to understand. This article contains the most important difference between a web page and website. Plus, I’ve also defined the meaning of website and webpage in simple words. Let’s get started then.
What is Web Page?
Web Page is a document found in World Wide Web (internet) that contains multimedia content such as text, image, audio or video mainly presented in HTML source code. However, it may also be built on latest technology programmed with scripts that are translated into human-readable form through web browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, UC, etc.
A web page is an essential component of a website that can be accessed online through a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) and also comprehends downloadable files with hyperlinks. It was coined in 1993 for the first time by Tim Berners-Lee. Nowadays, a web page requires a remote server (storage) and hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP) to upload and download data.
There are basically two types of web pages based on design:
- Static Web Page: These are old fashioned and does not contains too many elements and scripts. Static web pages are updated manually very less often. They do not have tons of multimedia and are not built on any CMS platforms such as WordPress, Blogger or Joomla. However, static web pages are good to make download sites and their loading speed is super fast due to less amount of HTTP requests.
- Dynamic Web Page: These web pages are of basic types which we witness in everyday life, just like the one that you’re reading now. It is built on a content management system and contains a lot of multimedia & scripting files. We can update a dynamic web page directly through the CMS dashboard without logging into the main server.
Based on usage, web pages can be divided into 12 different categories such as:
- Informational (like our web page)
Based on traffic (visitors) analytics, a web page is divided into 2 types:
- Landing Page: It is normally a URL where visitors enter before exploring other parts of the website.
- Exit Page: This is the page where people stop browsing and close the website.
What is Web Site?
A website is a collection of different web pages about a particular subject of matter known as a niche that is mapped to a single domain. Basically, we can compare a website to brand in real life and webpages as its subsidiaries. Or we can it a book with web pages.
Here are the major differences between a web page and a website:
- A web page can be accessed through a URL which is part of the domain but a website is the central domain itself formed with combinations of web pages and hosting.
- A website is a platform to display a content and webpage is the content.
- A web page is a single HTML file while a website may contain multiple HTML and other files.
- A website has the power to create a web-page but a web-page doesn’t.
- The name of a webpage comes after website while the website represents the entire brand.
- The development period of a website is longer due to the mass number of operations to handle but web pages can be developed quickly.
- Most web pages are used for writers to display blogs like this one. However, we can watch Live TV and shows on a website.
Final Words: Many people argue whether to write webpage or web-page (with space in between words)? Nothing matters at all. 🙂 It’s just the same thing, you can write whatever you want. Similarly, there’s dispute on writing whether Homepage or Home Page? The answer is: They both are a single word.
In short, a web-page is used to build a website whereas a website contains many web pages. They are independent of each other. Did you find this information about the differences between webpage and website helpful? If you have any confusions or questions, leave them on comments below. Be sure to read helpful topics in our website 😀