In this report, you will discover how to fix Wireshark no interfaces found windows 10 problem. If you are looking for best Wireshark solutions, then this page is for you. But before starting to fix, we need to learn a few things about Wireshark.
To understand Wireshark, you need to first know the meaning of a network packet analyzer. They are measuring tools that support detailed viewing of data packets. Data packet is units that are being transferred through an Internet Protocol. Such units can be a set of information or files.
Introduced in 2006, Wireshark is a free network packet analyzer tool. It is an open source computer software that helps to audit network connection. It runs on various operating systems such as Windows, Linux, UNIX, MacOS, etc.
Wireshark provides various features like import, export, open, display and filter data packets. It has remained an industry standard for over years in the field of network packet analysis. Many professional companies use this tool to track and troubleshoot their network.
How To Fix Wireshark no interfaces found windows 10
Now you know idea about Wireshark and we are going to move into the main topic. Here we will learn how to solve Wireshark no interfaces found windows 10 problem.
Method 1: Reinstall in Compatibility mode as administrator
There might be some compatibility issues with Wireshark and your version of PC. Try the following steps to fix Wireshark compatibility issues:
- Uninstall the older version completely & download a fresh copy from Wireshark official website. (Backup necessary data before uninstalling).
- Open the download folder.
- Then right click ‘Wireshark‘ setup file and select ‘Properties‘.
- Switch to ‘Compatibility‘ tab.
- Tick on the checkbox ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for:‘ and select ‘Windows 7‘ from the dropdown box.
- Click ‘Apply‘ and ‘OK‘.
- Click on Wireshark icon and select “Run as Administrator“.
- Complete the setup process normally like you used to do before.
Note: Do not check on ‘WinPcap x.x.x‘ & ‘UsbPcap‘ at the time of installation. After installation is complete, do not open Wireshark. Directly move into the next method.
Method 2: Configure WinPcap
After you have completed steps mentioned in method 1, you have to install WinPcap in the following ways:
- Visit winpcap.org & download it.
- Open the downloaded file location.
- Right click on the WinPcap setup icon and select ‘Properties‘.
- Change its compatibility settings to ‘Windows 7‘. Read method 1 to learn how to change compatibility settings.
- Right click on ‘WinPcap‘ setup file.
- Select ‘Run As Administrator‘ & confirm it by clicking on ‘OK’.
- Then install it normally after applying the compatibility fix.
After these methods 1 & 2 are completed, Wireshark no interfaces found windows 10 problem will get solved. Method 3 is quite complicated but you still want to check it out if method 1 & 2 don’t work.
Method 3: Command Prompt Fix
If you are still facing no interfaces found issues with Wireshark on windows 10, then the following steps might help you:
- Go to the taskbar in Windows 10 and search for “cmd”
- Right click on “command prompt” and select “Run as Administrator”
- Windows will ask for your administrator permissions. Click on ‘Yes’ to grant.
- In command prompt windows, type the following code and press enter:
sc query npf
- The above code will display if specified service is working or not. If the command prompt shows that service does not exist, type the following code and press enter:
sc stop npf
- Now input following command and press enter:
sc start npf
- Now reload Wireshark and press the hotkey F5. It will start working again.
In this way, we can troubleshoot Wireshark no interfaces found windows 10 problem using the command prompt. You can also try updating winpcap or switch to ncap.
Please note that the new updated version of Wireshark could have addressed the problem but we are not sure at this point. It is better to try the update version Wireshark and see if it helps. You can download it from the official website of Wireshark. Also, Sometimes removing every file, rebooting the PC and reinstalling Wireshark also helps. Let me know if you are able to run Wireshark on Windows 10 using this method. Write your Wireshark experience on the comment box below.